The Helsinki Region Infoshare project aims to make regional information quickly and easily accessible to all. It is powered by CKAN and Wordpress, using CKAN for the core functionality and data catalog, and Wordpress as content management system (e.g. News blog). The English version of the website is currently quite basic compared to the native Finnish website - with almost 900 data sets!
The aim of the website is to provide data that may be used by citizens, businesses, universities, academics, research facilities or municipal administrations. The data on offer is ready to be used freely at no cost. The data published during the project is mainly statistical, giving a comprehensive and diverse outlook on different urban phenomena, such as living conditions, economics and well-being, employment and transport. A good proportion of the data material offered by the project is based on geographic information (GIS).
The project includes building a web service for fast and easy access to open data sources. Users can download information and use it in decision-making, utilise it in their applications, or develop entirely new services based on the information, to name just a few examples. Behind the project is the vision that making public data readily available to all increases the residents’ knowledge of and insight into their region. This in turn improves the civic activity and capability of the public. Open access to information can also lead to new services and businesses in the area, and it may also advance research and development.
Service and business benefits as a result of the data hub
Examples of services and benefits of open data in the Helsinki region:
- public transport applications
- information management applications
- other: http://www.hri.fi/en/applications/
Most popular data sets and use cases
- Demographic statistical data: semantic.hri.fi , www.aluesarjat.fi
- Geographical data: http://www.hri.fi/fi/data/seutukartta/
- Transportation data: http://www.hri.fi/fi/data/hsl-reittopas-api/
- Public services data: http://www.hri.fi/fi/data/paakaupunkiseudun-palvelukartan-rest-rajapinta/
- Financial data: http://www.hri.fi/fi/data/helsingin-kaupunki-tulot-ja-menot-2009-ja-2010/
- Safety data: http://www.hri.fi/fi/data/liikenneonnettomuudet-helsingissa-2000-2010/
- Cultural data, libraries: http://www.hri.fi/fi/data/helsingin-kaupunginkirjasto-avoin-data-aineistoluettelot-helmet-kirjastojen-luettelotiedot/
Tools that the portal links with